Thursday 7 March 2013

Why Spend On Footwear?

Whenever I go shoe/boots shopping, I hear the woman from that old Nescafe ad saying to me "Cheap Shoes????" (with Denise Van Outen, her heels broke off her shoes, you remember it now). Her voice makes me do one of two things, either walk away from the cute hard plastic, uncomfortable cheap ones I've just fallen in love with but know I'll never wear, or rush to the till with the blow the budget, have in my wardrobe forever, wear to death pair.

Now, there's always exceptions to the rule but in general with footwear you gets what you pays for. I've learnt, after many rash purchases, that  I'd rather spend decent money on a pair that will last me years than spend the same amount on a couple of cheaper pairs. The cost per wear just makes it a no-brainer.  And most high street brands aren't so cheap any more. Probably £60 - £80 for shoes, £150 plus for boots? 

My shoe collection is VAST. Seriously. In that collection are many, many cheap pairs of shoes I've only worn once because they've torn my feet to shreds but I still hope that one day I'll break them in. I won't, and I'm determined to ditch them soon. There's also a lot of gorgeous pricey pairs of going out shoes that I wear a couple of times a year, and I know they will last me forever.

Then there's the old faithfuls.  The pairs of boots and shoes I wear at least five times a month, and they've lasted me years.  Like these APC cowboy boots. They cost £340, three years ago.  They are so beaten up, (they make me feel like Keith Richards) and I've had them resoled twice (£48),  but I reckon I've worn them at least 250 times because they are the most comfortable boots I've ever owned. 

So that's £1.55 a wear (and getting cheaper every day).  It's a big outlay in one go, but for a pair of classic boots that never date, I reckon it's always worth it.





Currently listening to: Fat Larry's Band - Zoom

No comments: